1. I get to talk to my grandma today. I spent a harrowing few days in the hospital with her last month, and I am extra grateful to still have her in my life today.
2. Good friends who are throwing me a happy hour tonight whether I want it or not.
3. Silver white winters that melt into spring every year, eventually. It’s good to remember that.
4. Surviving the worst few months of my life last fall.
5. My mama.
6. The New Yorker; I forgot I subscribed on my iPad and now I have months worth of back issues to read. Awww yeah.
7. My cheap, funky, badly lit yet brightly colored apartment. It’s still me, for better or worse.
8. Rainbows over the Caribbean in January.
9. Humboldt Fog cheese.
10. The Hitachi Magic Wand.
11. A much, much less stressful job.
12. Salma Hayek’s honey-scented shampoo.
13. Naturally curly hair (that I just cut off to the nape of my neck. Hello, semi-annual birthday panic!)
14. Finding storytelling on stage this year; I love it so, so much.
15. Iced venti skinny lattes with two Equals.
16. The farmers market right outside my front door, which opened last week.
17. Getting closer to my dad’s side of the family over the past few years.
18. My daily Notes from the Universe.
19. My beautiful city, where I have lived for 20 years (!!) this August.
20. Every single awesome person who expresses general surprise when I tell them how old I am. I’ve been telling people at work I’m turning 28 and they believe me. Man, if I were only 28 I’d be so proud of my life right now.
21. Apple fritters, one of which I am having for breakfast shortly as a birthday treat.
22. Pencil skirts.
23. On that note, I recently started having some of my stuff tailored and OMG it is life-altering. (See what I did there?)
24. Frightened Rabbit. I saw them play my favorite song this week and man, I love those hot Scots.
25. My sister, who moved here 15 years ago this June. I never would have made it without her.
26. The new fad for ramen noodle restaurants. Noodles FTW.
27. My excellent medical benefits. The pharmaceutical industry and I salute them for supporting both of us.
28. The Roku I got for Christmas, which allows me to watch Netflix and Amazon videos on my TV. House of Cards, yo. House. Of. Cards.
25. A couple more years of fertility, please God.
26. New Orleans, my spiritual home. (Though it does beg the question, why are all my spiritual homes so hot and humid when I am so adamantly an October person?)
27. Discovering that I can wear contact lenses. I don’t know why I denied myself the pleasure all these years.
28. My new hipster glasses. (That’s not me in the picture, though I do feel a kinship with her and her “natural” red hair.)
29. All of you who read this blog even though I am a terrible poster. I have so many blog posts in my head, you guys. Don’t abandon me yet; I will be back, swearsies.
30. Still grateful for men and their delicious pheremones, despite that fact that they are not paying enough attention to me.
31. Dresses from eShakti. Game changer, seriously.
32. Kiehl’s musk oil, which makes me smell like someone I would definitely want to sleep with if I had a penis. HELLO.
33. Capital Bikeshare and not being afraid to use it. I’m so happy every time I get on one of those babies.
34. Pedicures and eyebrow waxing, the lazy woman’s salvation.
35. Finally conquering, once and for all, the nicotine monkey on my back.
36. Drinking on rooftops in the sun.
37. Figuring out who I am and what I want a little more each day. I used to be really impatient with this process, but now I understand that it never ends, and that’s a good thing.
38. The chance to keep doing it better and better.